Skip to main content

ESL Podcast Reviews

Truth be heard...Prior to this course I had never engaged with or even listened to a Podcast. I always thought that Podcasts were boring or pointless. You see, I am a visual learner. I prefer to watch short clips or read other visual media instead of listening to audio. However, after watching and subscribing to the following two Podcasts, I have found a new appreciation for audio media and its relevance/ usefulness in providing tips, tricks and suggestions for ESL instruction.


Podcast Review 1:The DIESOL Podcast


Description: DIESOL or Digital Integration in English as a Second or Other Language is a podcast created for English as a Second Language Teachers. The goal of the podcast is to discuss best ESL classroom practices and give teachers innovative ways to integrate technology into the ESL classroom. The podcast is engaging from the catchy background music and clear/animated voices. Further, the topics are relevant and presented by various guest 'expert' speakers who specialize in the various themes. Episodes address current issues, addressing grammar, ways to support the 4 Language Learning Skills in the classroom, tips for dealing with student anxiety/ motivation, vocabulary instruction ideas and other helpful ESL tips and tricks. There are currently 13 episodes available (August 4, 2019- April 6, 2020)and each episode ranges from 30 minutes- 1 hour and 40 minutes.

Review: I highly recommend this podcast. The themes, suggestions and tips provided by the episodes are highly relevant to teaching ESL and integrating technology in the classroom. Further, the podcast is clear and straightforward inviting the listener to engage with the material without being overwhelming. The best part...the podcast is designed specifically for TECHNOLOGY AND ESL- TOGETHER 😍




Podcast Review 2: Boosting Achievement The ESL Podcast



Description:Boosting Achievement The ESL Podcast is an inviting, fresh sounding podcast that aims to discuss best ways to support English Language Learners and ESL teachers themselves. According to Carol (the podcast author), the podcast not only aims to close achievement gaps with the materials but to create leaders. This engaging introduction, that is repeated each episode to remind listeners of the podcast's purpose, draws the listener into the various themes and provides relevant suggestions and tips for the ESL classroom. There are currently 70 Episodes ranging from 30 minutes to 1 hour in length. Themes include: addressing the needs of newcomers, finding ways to add rigor to the beginning curriculum, how to address complications in the classroom and innovative ways to integrate technology, vocabulary instruction and grammar lessons in a meaningful way into the classroom. In addition, a variety of guests share their expertise with the listening audience including: Larry Ferlazzo, author of Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day. 

Review: I recommend this podcast to anyone who wants to push their ELs beyond complacency! The podcast is engaging and full of helpful hints and suggestions for making the best ESL classroom and environment for all proficiency levels. I particularly like how special populations, like newcomers, are addressed individually because this gives teachers a first hand idea how to handle this group with solid strategies. I also like the illustrative and animated language utilized as the episodes do not feel like mundane presentations. If you are looking for relevant and current strategies from a variety of perspectives, this is the podcast for you!

Hope you find these reviews and especially these podcasts helpful for your ESL instruction!😀

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Reflection #6

So this is my final required posting for this course in my blog. My normal tone would be peppy and exciting but right now I can't seem to find the pep. As many have been saying online, "Can we unplug 2020, wait 10 seconds, replug it in and start again?"  https://www.scarce.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/unplug-300x207.jpg Friday afternoon, I stood in my classroom with my kindergarten bunch, and laughed to myself. All that we have learned in this class (remote learning, online applications for language learning, blended models, etc.) could potentially become my current situation within a few hours...A few hours later, Governor Wolf announced that for the next two weeks schools would be closed. However, what that looked like or looks like is TBD in most situations. Article after article has appeared on Facebook, Twitter, Google Alerts, etc. talking about the overnight transition from traditional brick and mortar schooling to the online environment. Discussions have a...